roku

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeB

GeorgeB

Administrator

• 190 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

As someone who got rid of cable years ago this is a no brainer for me. There are already plenty of services out there that can help you end the price gouging you're going through right now.

In fact, there are so many that some, especially non tech savvy folks, find it a bit overwhelming and stay with cable for the sheer convenience of it. Nothing wrong with that IMO. It's just that as cable prices continue to rise and consumers are still ignored, I think eventually something will have to give. For the average consumer you'll have no choice. For plenty it already is. 

So say for example your current cable bill with internet is $129 - $150 a month. Here's a quick easy way to chop that down to less than $60 a month.

1) Get a Roku 3. (No monthly fees. 1 time cost of $99 that you'll make back in less than 2 months.)
2) Cancel your cable TV subscription and keep your high speed internet. (avg $29.99/month)
3) Get USTVNow. An internet live TV service. ($19/month)
4) Get Netflix ($7.99/month)

Total Monthly Cost: $56.98 

And you can now watch live TV, sports, etc, while also discovering what millions of Netflix subscribers have realized. That watching TV on your time when you want it ROCKS.

All of that on your tiny little box called Roku.

OTA Antenna: Mohu Leaf (signal to all home TVs via Motorola Signal Booster)
Streaming Devices: Roku 3, Roku 2, WDTV Live Hub (1TB w/ wireless N adapter), D-Link MovieNite
Game Consoles: Playstation 4, xBox One, xBox 360,Wii

#2 Tara

Tara

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

I saw a billboard ad for Roku, but I didn't really know what it was.

I also never heard of USTVNOW either, but I will really do some research. I cut the cord awhile back. I watch Netflix and Hulu as my replacement for TV. Many TV stations allow you to watch their shows online for no charge. I even have a couple of free TV apps on my phone.

#3 HitmanActual

HitmanActual

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

Awesome breakdown George, thanks.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

#4 sidd230

sidd230

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

User's Awards

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:35 AM

Roku has an amazing potential. The sheer amount of plugins for it a mind boggling.

#5 dapapas

dapapas

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

Im finding Roku 3's on Craigslist new in box for as little as $60. One guy got it for Christmas and "has no need for it." Well sir, I just might. 

#6 Coby

Coby

Advanced Member

• 221 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

User's Awards

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

If you buy one new, then cancel your cable you can make the cost up over two months at the most. I'm weary of buying any electronics thru craigslist or eBay individuals for fear of getting home and having a dead paperweight. Just be careful.

Coby

profile_twitter.gif Follow me on Twitter @Cobynepa

cordcutterforum.com

profile_facebook.gif/cordcutterforum

Over-The-Air - RCA ANT122R and RCA ANT1050     Streaming - Roku 3, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku XDS, KindleFire HD

#7 BlessedBlogger

BlessedBlogger

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

USTVNow sounds interesting but I don't watch enough live TV to justify the subscription. We tried antenna for awhile but the reception just isn't good where we live. Now we watch the local news for weather before work through Media Center on our PC or laptop. We have Netflix Streaming (no DVD's , no time for that many movies) and Amazon Prime gets us Amazon videos and then we use Hulu Plus (for now) for standard TV shows. I wish we could get internet access that cheap! We pay $58 a month for 15/5 service with Verizon and the only other option is Comcast which is just as expensive. But we love our Roku 3 so I'm pretty happy. If I could just subscribe to HBO, National Geographic, SyFy and some other specialty channels it would be perfect.

#8 Coby

Coby

Advanced Member

• 221 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

User's Awards

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Blessed, USTVNow has a free option. You get a half dozen channels. USTVNow is mainly for people who are from the US traveling abroad.

When signing up, I just told them I'd be watching it at one of my many beach houses in the Carribean  :ph34r:

I mainly use OTA for local programming but it's nice to know there's another option. The only downfall is I believe you need a paid account to watch it on your Roku, Tablet, SmartTV, etc.

Coby

profile_twitter.gif Follow me on Twitter @Cobynepa

cordcutterforum.com

profile_facebook.gif/cordcutterforum

Over-The-Air - RCA ANT122R and RCA ANT1050     Streaming - Roku 3, Roku Streaming Stick, Roku XDS, KindleFire HD