SlingTV still buffering, customer service still horrible.

Discussion in 'Sling TV' started by Rusty, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Rusty

Rusty Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I have tried Comcast and Verizon FIOS which I have now with SlingTV and on 100mbps up/down connection SlingTV is still freezing consistently at about every 15 to 20 minutes. Just canceled again. I've read that they're not doing too well and haven't really been able to grow their user base beyond 500,000. I can see why. Rumor is if they don't start seeing some considerable growth in the coming year with the new plans that Dish may pull the plug. I have every other streaming service that you can possibly think of or have tried it at some point and have had no problems whatsoever. SlingTV just doesn't seem to want to work for me.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Double D

Double D Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2016
    How did you view Sling? I noticed that Sling buffers on my new Roku streaming stick but it never buffers on my Roku 3.

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I'm using the Windows app, I'm a city dweller I don't even have a TV, I work on my business in my apartment, I have a desktop PC running Windows 10 with 3 27 inch monitors and sometimes I like putting a movie or something on one of them while I'm just staring at the screens. I have Netflix, Hulu, AcornTV, and Amazon Prime right now, and for local channels I use an OTA with a Hauppauge HDTV USB adapter. The Olympics and the coming college football season was my encouragement to try Sling again, but nothing's changed. If you contact support they just keep telling you over and over to reinstall the app and that drives me crazy. Do you have any tips on what might make it work better?

5. Double D

Double D Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2016
    I'm sorry. I wish I could. The way that you view sling differs from my way. I'm sure that someone here can though.

6. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016
    I have used it on a Roku 3, Roku 2, and a Fire TV and rarely have any buffering issues anymore

7. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Is this the only computer you've tried it on: your Windows 10 box? I only ask because if that's the common denominator and you've even switched internet providers, it may behove you to just try another device. Even your phone (just set it to use your Wifi), just to see if you have the same results

8. Rusty

Rusty Member

Dec 16, 2015
    It does seem to work more reliably on my Android phone on my WIFI and rarely freezes. The only computer that I have is my desktop and it's connected with Ethernet Cat5e it doesn't use the WIFI. It's a decent machine with an I7 and 16GB of memory. I do agree though I think it has something to do with Windows.

9. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I mostly run Sling on an old Roku, a Roku 3 and occasionally on my Firestick. I sometimes get freezes but usually refreshing my wireless connection resolves it. I have run the app without noticeable freezing on my Win7 desktop which is old and slow (core2 duo) compared to yours. And the wireless speed at this desktop is in the 13mbps range. I'm guessing Win10 is your culprit (or could be slowed down by other apps running on the computer).

10. NickSterling

NickSterling Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Menomonee Falls, WI
    I hope Sling can get it together. I think DISH is starting to take it more seriously than they did at launch, but they've got a lot of work to do to get and keep new customers.

11. Rusty

Rusty Member

Dec 16, 2015
    FYI, seem to have found a solution. I'm now running the Android SlingTV app on my PC using an Android emulator and not having any freezing or buffering problems at all.

12. Rusty

Rusty Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Windows 10 app solves the problem no buffering anymore new interface more stable. SlingTV is getting there. Only problem is you can't hide the mouse cursor in full screen. Even seeing it still partially there when I move it to the side of the screen was bothering me. I wrote a little memory resident program that solves that problem though, so I think I'm finally all set with SlingTV on my Windows 10 desktop.

LeoIrish likes this.
  13. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Member

Nov 16, 2015
    That app has been working really well for me, too, plus the app on my Fire TV. Getting better, but the UI still needs some serious work.

14. RoyB

RoyB New Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I am using wifi that is about 15-20mbps. Viewing on my tv with Roku2. Sling TV is working great for me except for the EPIX channels. Can watch the shows that are currently on, okay. But if I try to watch a movie from their catalog it will buffer and then after awhile freeze up. Use high quality for everything else with no problem, but Epix on demand movies will not work on any quality setting. Customer service gave me some vague answer. Anyone have this problem?

thanks Roy

LeoIrish likes this.
  15. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Are you able to use SlingTV as a login for the EPIX app?

16. RANDALL S.

RANDALL S. New Member

May 9, 2017
    I was having a issue with all my streaming for a while. Got a new Surboard 32X modem. Finally the cable company came out and did some physical hard line fixes and I am getting OVER 150 meg download. EVERY platform I use on my Roku 3 works great. Netflix, Amazon and a number of network apps. All except Sling. I can not make it through a 1 hour show without buffering and usually with 5 minutes it freezes. We have to exit the program and reenter. Their customer service took training from Walmart and McDonalds I think. I am very close to giving up. $20 sounds like a great deal but not for this. I hear Hulu is about too offer a new $40 plan. I have done everything. Updated all firmware, fixed the cable, new modem and have the Roku hard wired to the modem. What else can I do for you Sling?

LeoIrish likes this.
  17. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015

I wonder if the issue is Sling specifically or live streaming. Speaking from my own experience, Netflix & Amazon work well on every device we own (including the 1st Fire TV Stick), but the video quality can suffer when doing live streaming.