Review of 3 indoor antennas based on my experiences

Discussion in 'Over The Air (Antenna) TV' started by Loweguy, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Loweguy

Loweguy New Member

Apr 16, 2016
    Hi all,

I am very new to the forum and am soon to cut the cord. As a result, I have been searching for a decent antenna to get started.

First, as a cheap trial, I ordered the traditional RCA "rabbit ears". My home is located about 1/2 way between Hartford and New Haven, CT with many desirable stations available in a 25 mile radius, though they are located in 3 directions. We are in a suburban area on top of a small hill, surrounded by mature trees in most directions.

The cheap antenna pulled in 2 stations, one of whom is a major network which I got in HD. That station is about 10 miles from our home.

Feeling hopeful after that result from a $6 antenna, I went to Wal-Mart and purchased 2 more, both amplified, to try. I got the RCA Pro HD 200 ($29) and the Mohu Leaf Ultimate ($59).

I tried each in a variety of positions in 2 different rooms of my home. In the bedroom we have a 32" Vizeo and in our living room we have a 65" Vizeo. An observation about both antennas is that while they tout being omnidirectional, both were super sensitive to orientation and placement.

With tons of fiddling and moving about, the upset is that the RCA managed to clearly pick up more stations in both rooms, and is the only 1 of the 2 able to pick up the local CBS affiliate (and in fact the next-farther one too!). I found it worked best hung in an up-down arrangement (it's a long slender bar).

Oddly, I found it also worked best hung about 20" from the exterior wall of our home, about 3 feet from a large window. I found it strange because when hung the same way, but closer to the exterior wall by about 10" it received far less stations.

At any rate, I know this is all super subjective and likely specific to my home, but had hoped the information might help someone in a similar situation.

Regards

Mike