OMG I finally bought an antenna on Amazon

Discussion in 'Over The Air (Antenna) TV' started by Rusty, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Rusty

Rusty Member

Dec 16, 2015
    and hooked it up tonight and it's amazing!, I think the HD picture is better now than it was with Comcast. I'm getting at least 30 channels and FM radio. If you cut the cord kind of because you're still paying the cable company for your local channels, you're a chump. The antenna I purchased was 29 dollars. One time only payment, free TV! This is what I was missing by just having Prime, Netflix and Hulu.

Rob Lister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    The biggest challenge there is with having a mix of streaming and antenna tv is learning what buttons to push on your remote. The number of buttons one pushes is really no more than it used to be, but they're different; different is bad until you get used to it. "What's this 'Source' button I've gotta press? What's up with that!?' But once it becomes routine it is no more thought about than pressing any other combination of buttons. Only you tend to press a lot less because you're no longer 'surfing'.

4. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Good idea. i may look into this.

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    It all depends on which antenna you get, how far you are from a major city, and the strength of the signals. I've cut the cord in the past, and dealt with poor signals, even though I had decent (at the time) antennas. I'm 35 miles from the nearest large city, and don't want to have to do trial and error with antennas. Which one did you buy, how much, etc.? And, how far do you live from the nearest large city?

6. Rusty

Rusty Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I live in a very big city I'm less than ten miles from the city center in a high rise apartment building on the top floor. The apartment building I live in is also on a little bit of a hill so I overlook the city and I have the antenna next to the sliding glass door of the balcony. I bought two antennas, the 1byone HDTV Antenna (50 miles with amplifier) and the 1byone Indoor HDTV Antenna for UHF/VHF/FM with a stand (40 miles with a 20dB amplifier). I put one on the TV in the bedroom and one on the TV in the living room. My situation is admittedly very very different than yours. I know I probably went overkill on the antennas and I'm pretty sure I'm getting every channel available. The antennas work very well but I understand it just may be my location and probably any antenna would work for me. I have tried turning off the amplifier though and that definitely makes my reception worse so I can only say make sure you also buy an amplifier.

7. MyTVStreams

MyTVStreams MyTVStreams.com

Jan 21, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Sure, Rusty lives at the top of Avenger's tower, and couldn't get better reception even if he puts his Iron Man suit on..

On the other hand, I'm more in the Bat Cave... In the sticks past the suburbs of a medium sized city in the swampy lowlands. However, I get 44 channels using an Amazon Basics Ultra Thin Indoor Antenna.

What is MOST important is line of site to the broadcast towers. At home, I'm low elevation, but the towers I pick up are still line of site - geography just happens to work to my advantage. On the flip side, I have a hunting camp that is in a valley in a semi mountainous area - but within 60 miles of 3 regional TV markets. I get zilch there. There are tools online that will show your location relative to the local broadcast towers, and will even estimate the height of antenna you would need to reach the line of site level - for my camp, I would need a 450 foot tower!

Before you buy any antenna, know your proximity to the broadcast towers and wether you have line of site or not. The most expensive antenna won't help you if you are blocked by some geographical features.. Diane - I think this is more likely to be your issue..

8. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    For us, the only way we are going to get the local Fox affiliate is if I put an antenna on the roof (might do it eventually). But, I am able to get everything else with a standard HD antenna. Actually, I am reviewing one now. It is better than the others - and it finds the Fox station - but still no signal.