Netflix dark on my TV?

Discussion in 'Netflix' started by SLTE, Feb 6, 2016.

1. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I've noticed that some Netflix shows - some, not all - appear to be rather dark on my TV. Messing with the TV's contrast alone doesn't do anything, because anything that's not Netflix looks fine. And, again, it doesn't seem to happen with everything - the movie Thor, for example, looks really dark, but then I can switch to, say, Better Call Saul, and it looks fine.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did you manage to resolve the problem?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I have never had this issue. Could be a setting on your tv.

4. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I cannot say I have noticed anything - but some things (ex: Daredevil), appear darker than most.

5. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Member

Dec 10, 2015
    I have some suggestions that might help. You could try adjusting your TV's brightness and contrast settings. When you have the TV on you could check out if your window blinds are opened or closed, trust me it's a factor. Double check your electric wiring on the TV cause it might be short circuiting ever so slightly such that your screen goes light to dark at odd moments.

6. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    A good suggestion by Hyperion. Another might be to flag this issue in Netflix. There's an App for that! Anytime there is a problem with any Netflix video you can flag it. Different apps, different platforms, have different ways of doing that, but it is generally as simple as finding the control for turning subtitles on or off. This notifies Netflix and they [presumably] look into it. It might be a problem for others. It could be a bad copy on the server from which Netflix delivers their copy to you, for example.

7. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Like I said in the original post, this only happens on select Netflix videos, and nothing else. Messing with the contrast and brightness will only put me in a constant wrestling match with my TV when I decide to watch something else. Flagging this on Netflix is a good idea, though.

8. SodApOpPIMPski

SodApOpPIMPski New Member

Dec 31, 2016
    You ever find the solution to this? I have a samsung un55c7000 that I have never used the Netflix on until the other day. I only tried 1 thing (breaking bad) but it was so dark I couldn't watch it. Once I backed out of netflix my screen was as bright as it normally is. This isn't a big deal as this is just my bedroom tv and I doubt I will be using netflix much but I am curious why it would come in so dark. And no, adjusting my settings does nothing as I keep that tv on the factory natural setting that is extremely bright.