Looking for advice on antenna setup

Discussion in 'Over The Air (Antenna) TV' started by AG4SM, Sep 2, 2015.

1. AG4SM

AG4SM New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Hello,

My wife and I just recently cut the cord with DirecTV and are loving it for the most part, except for some OTA issues. I live just north of Macon, GA (zip 31211) and have mounted a Mohu Sky antenna in my attic. I am using the included coax down through the wall to the mohu jolt 4 way amp behind my living room TV. For a week, that was the only TV hooked up and I got great signals on 13, 16, 29, 41 and 45. No matter what I do, I cannot get WPGA 58 (however I'm not really upset there).

Problem is when I added the bedroom TV. I hooked up the new bedroom TV to the jolt amp and started having problems on both TV's. The bedroom TV is fed by roughly 75 feet of good quality RG6. now reception on 29 and 41 on both TV's is pretty much inusable. Sometimes even 13 takes a minute to lock. I thought the point of a good distribution amp was to not drag down other signals when you added a drop to it?

What should i do: move the antenna onto the roof, get a better antenna or amplifier, need a higher gain amplifier, or something else?

Thanks in advance for all help!

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    I think you meant WPGA channel 50. That is actually WPGA-LP meaning Low Power. Still, it is LOS (line of sight) and it comes in at -61dbm so I'm not sure why you're not getting it. Maybe you're looking on 58 :)

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8e0363599efe80

for 29(? not in list!) and 41, I would trying removing the amp and using a straight splitter. You might be pushing too hard. Or maybe you have a dead spot in your amp.

4. AG4SM

AG4SM New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Thanks for the tip on using just a splitter. I will try that. When I mentioned channel 58, that's what it used to be when it was the ABC affiliate, but I think they are on DTV channel 32 now which should still be full power. Anyway, will try the splitter and see what happens. Thanks!

5. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    I gotta tell ya, I have not had a lot of success with amps. I've bought two that were both brand names and turned out to do ZERO for my reception. GE and ... can't remember but it was a big brand. I'm not at all sure that they're useful. Not that they 'can't be, but that they're the cheapest build possible with little or no quality assurance in the manufacturing process. There just isn't enough call for them to get get good metrics on the consumer side.
    A maker (even a big name maker) could produce utter crap and you'd never know it and they'd still make a profit because the cost of the item is not worth going through the return process. Antennas are a little like that too but not as bad. A little like LED bulbs. Supposed to last 10 years and yet last less than two; way, way below the payback.

I'd like to find a resource on that. Or start a resource right here.

6. e d

e d Arrrrrrrrrr

Jul 22, 2015
    High Seas
    I bought an antenna from Lowes, did no research, and just plugged it in. I don't think that there is much science to the OTA solution.

7. AG4SM

AG4SM New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Well I finally got around to hooking up the splitter last night (I used the one that DirecTV had installed for their SWIM setup, so I know it is a good quality splitter). It seemed to help and I got good signal without it.

What would be a good quality amp to purchase to boost the signal to the bedroom since it is a long cable run and needs some help? I don't mind spending a little if I have to to get quality. Maybe something I could put as a preamp at the antenna output that can receive it's DC power through the coax. Any suggestions?