looking for advice: Boosting signal over long cable runs

Discussion in 'Over The Air (Antenna) TV' started by Bill, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Bill

Bill New Member

Jun 17, 2015
    minnesota
    Love this forum, thanks for all the great advice. I've been stalking for a while, posting for the first time.

My wife and I recently moved and are having trouble getting a consistent signal in the new house. The set up looks something like this:
    • Mohu Sky antenna connected to a ChannelMaster Ultra-mini 8 distribution amp. That run is about 15'
    • 6 home runs from the amp to each wired room in the house. Some of the runs are 100'+
    • Mohu inline amplifier connected to the main TV. I get good reception on 1 or two channels, but spotty reception on the others, depending on the weather. This is the longest run in the house.
    • Other TVs don't have amplifiers, signal is lousy.
    I think the biggest issue is the number of times the antenna is split, combined with the very long runs of cable. Trying to decide what to do next. Some things I'm considering:
    • Disconnect unused home runs from the distribution amplifier
    • Terminate unused connections on the distribution amp
    • Raise the Antenna mast another 15'. It's currently on the garage, could go up another story to the top of the house, though this would add probably 30'-40' of cable. The signal is very good when connected to only one TV.
    • Add amplifiers at the end of each run, where it connects to the TV. I don't have a lot of room to reroute and shorten the runs.
    Are their any downsides to these fixes? Any other suggestions?

My wife's Law & Order addiction thanks you in advance.

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    Wow, you've got a lot going on there. 100+ foot runs are not necessarily an issue so long as it is very high quality cable and the connectors are rock-solid. Probably 1.5dB loss for RG6 at 50-300mhz. If you're using something cheaper than RG6, double or triple that.

I would start by taking the splitter/amp out of the equation and testing each line directly back to the Antenna at the associated TV. If all that is good then I would raise an eyebrow at the amp. I'm reluctant to say 'it's always the amp!' but in truth, it usually is. At any rate, it costs nothing but time to do this. Raise or relocate the antenna as a last resort.

If you must add amps, I think it is better to add the amp at the beginning of the run than the end. At the end, you're amplifying more noise than signal. I could be wrong about that though.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Cutter15 likes this.