How much more time is over the air TV going to exist for?

Discussion in 'Over The Air (Antenna) TV' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 15, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Member

Jan 15, 2015
    I'm wondering if it's worth investing in the antenna and other necessary equipment to make this work and I'm worried that these type of services will die off in the relatively near future. What do you think?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I have no idea. Havent done a lot of research into this subject. I imagine with everything having gone digital that it won't be long before over thecair tv is gone completely. Most folks have either cable or netflix but there are some who cant afford either. They'll be left in the dark.

4. djont57

djont57 New Member

Sep 10, 2014
    I doubt if it's going anywhere anytime soon.

5. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    You can get antennae's that are not that expensive and very easy to install. What the main consideration will have to be is how far away you are from broadcasters. If you have an older TV you will probably have to also get an HD converter, this was not to expensive either. I like over the air TV because there are several channels that may not be part of your cable or dish line up. The big plus for me was being able to get local news and weather. Usually you can get the main networks, and then some local programming in the area. I have about 16 stations that I can get with the antennae easily. I bought the small in the window type. I know if I upgrade to a roof model I will be able to pick up even more since I am close to Toronto. It is a one time fee, certainly well worth the cost.

6. libretos121

libretos121 Active Member

Mar 7, 2015
    I'm not sure. We have the invention of the converter box. But even low income families can now afford HD TVs. Also, the channels on regular TV are extremely boring. The only channel I liked was ION and only some programs. Can't be that long, right?

7. Deacon

Deacon Member

Nov 20, 2015
    As long as there are poor people who vote, there will be OTA TV.

8. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Actually, unless someone changes the rules & regulations (and laws?), OTA TV is not going anywhere.

9. mrboo

mrboo Member

Dec 10, 2015
    I actually didn't know that antenna TV was still around. 0___0

I used to watch it as a kid, but now I'm not into cable anymore, so my TV gets used for video games more than anything. I'm shocked to hear that the antenna is still going strong... I would love to see it again, to be honest.

10. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Member

Dec 10, 2015
    As long as flat screens are selling like hotcakes then cable TV will never die that's for sure. I still enjoy my ESPN, HBO, CNN and what have you and no amount of Netflix and Amazon Prime will change that. Buy your antenna and satellite-- anyhow if that markets change for media you could just sell it for change.

11. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    OTA is not getting more popular, not less. With almost every cable that is cut, a HD antenna is spliced.

12. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I can't see it going anywhere any time soon in my opinion.

13. MyTVStreams

MyTVStreams MyTVStreams.com

Jan 21, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    It's hard to find true numbers anywhere, but I've read that the government subsidizes over the air broadcasting - well beyond PBS. Right there is incentive enough for local broadcsters to keep OTA alive and well - regardless of the income level of any voters.

But the real motivator for local broadcasting is advertising dollars. This is still a multi billion dollar revenue generator. The pay tv companies want that revenue so would love to do away with the local broadcasters - but while there is money to be had, pay tv will be fought tooth and nail.

14. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    We just hooked-up a HD Antenna (even though I still cannot get a station!) so my wife can browse live TV. I do not see much use is for - except during college football - but it is nice to have.

15. Tested

Tested New Member

Apr 25, 2016
    I work at a TV station. OTA TV isn't going away anytime soon. We are not subsidized by the government though. Only PBS is.