Connecting new antenna to old DirecTV satellite location?

Discussion in 'Over The Air (Antenna) TV' started by ceeKash79, Nov 22, 2016.

1. ceeKash79

ceeKash79 New Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Brand new to the forum. I always figured antenna technology was so old that all of this would seem simple to me but I'm baffled.

I'm trying to cut cable. Currently, I have DirecTV. I been testing our Vue from Sony and like it but not having any local channels is going to drive me crazy! Vue doesn't offer local channels in my market just yet.

So, currently I have DirecTV and there is a satellite located in the back right corner of my house, near the foundation, pointing south. Of course, hanging from this satellite is a coaxial cable that runs into my house and through a spiderweb-like setup of cables, a cord is run to a number of rooms in my house. I'm sure this setup I'm describing is like what most people have?

My question is, if I unplug the coaxial cable from the satellite and instead hook up a TV antenna to it, would the coaxial web of cords instantly bring that antenna's signal into the rooms where the coaxial is already run?

My other question is, I live about 15-20 miles from where all signals come from. If I place that antenna where the old satellite was, against the house, would that work? I didn't know if antennas needed 360 degrees of sight and if the side of my house could would issues? I know satellites are different because as long as it points south, in the case of DirecTV, what's around the dish has no effect whatsoever.

My other question is, if this will not work because of sight lines or whatever, could I take an existing coaxial cable in my attic that feeds back into the spiderweb of coaxial, and hook my antenna up through that? I wasn't sure how coaxial cables worked and if you could add any input device like a dish or antenna anywhere or if there was certain points of the cable for inputting and others for outputting signal?

My other thought has been to get a Tablo and hook a Leaf antenna up to the Tablo and connect the Tablo to my Fios internet. Being that I'm in the suburbs and 15-20 miles in range of signals, I think the Leaf as simplistic as it is would be suitable enough. I could then stream the antennas content through my Roku using the Tablo. The only problem I have with that is you are streaming content over the internet rather than a direct signal, so I'm assuming the video quality will come and go?

Looking forward to any tips.