Any antenna "experts" out there?

Discussion in 'Over The Air (Antenna) TV' started by njmurvin, Jun 29, 2016.

1. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Sorry for the long post ... I have a Winegard Outdoor Flatwave AIR amplified antenna. I live in a pretty fringe area and was not surprised to have some issues using an antenna. I mounted my antenna on an existing Directv dish mount about 10' off the ground. It has since been raised to about 15' with no notable change in performance. All of the stations I want are at 92* (true) and I have a clear shot with no local impediments. Tvfool reports my stations in the yellow and pink areas for signal strength.

Oddly, my best channels are in the pink range with at least 1edge. Those channels are in the "real" UHF range (CBS=43, NBC=36). I get full bars of signal strength on these channels and I have never had any audio drops or pixelations on these channels.

The yellow area channels (which are supposed to be stronger) are my problem. Some of the time they work fine but they drift in and out (especially at dusk) and can stay out for nearly an hour at a time. These are in the "real" VHF range (ABC=7 and FOX=11). There are other channels in these ranges but they aren't as important to me. It is my understanding that these are HIGH VHF stations. TVfool reports these stations as follows:

NM(dB), Pwr(dBm), path
    ABC = 23.4 -67.4 1Edge
    FOX = 19.5 -71.4 2Edge

Again, surprisingly, FOX works better than ABC (but not much). I have concluded that my antenna is just not strong enough to reliably pick up the HIGH VHF channels. I can't install a gigantic antenna ... however I can go a little bit larger if it would promise to solve these HIGH VHF issues. Is there an antenna that would satisfy my needs or should I just be content with the channels I get?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Double D

Double D Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2016
    I have that same antenna and it works great as long as it's 1) taped securely to my window and 2) the amplifier is plugged in. The antenna is very sensitive. It can't be moving while ur watching tv at all. Even if I pull my blinds down over the antenna, I lose everything. And if I move the antenna 5 feet then I get less channels. Overall it works great and the picture is crisp but it can get grouchy. Which in turn makes my wife grouchy.

4. Bobarooo

Bobarooo New Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I had huge problems, found out in my area (maybe all areas) abc is vhf, not uhf. I got a rca amp that splits vhf and uhf so i could use 2 antennas, have a decent uha i spent around $40 and a separate vha antenna on amazon i spent a bit over $40 on. Works great now. Search on amazon for deep fringe i think it was vha antenna. I didnt need to use the bolt on half of the antenna so mines a bit shorter than the one pictured since its in my attic

5. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    It isn't that your antenna isn't strong enough (sensitive enough is a better term), the problem is you're listening on the edge: You do not have a line of sight to those stations. If atmospheric conditions are just right, they'll come in fine; but you are a slave to those conditions. This is [much] further complicated if there are other stations along that exact same path. That's why amplifying the signal doesn't help; you're amplifying noise. Go back to TV Fool and play with your antenna height until those stations come in to LoS. Then build to suit.

6. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    We are in similar situation. Although the TV Fool report says we should get all of the stations, we do not receive Fox nor CW period. I have tried about every adjustment there is, until I consulted with some of my neighbors, and all of them which have tried have experienced the same issues. We live just far enough away - with the right / wrong geographical situation to prevent clear signals from those stations. Unless we put an antenna up on a 100' pole, we are stuck.

7. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I won't argue the fact that I'm on the edge. However .... there is an obvious difference in the performance of UHF based channels and VHF based channels (UHF performing much better) using the small antenna that I have. My antenna is more optimally designed to receive UHF signals but also receives high VHF. So, I'm not all that surprised that I get better performance from UHF. I don't need to get much better reception on the VHF channels for them to be perfect. Would a higher quality antenna which is optimized for VHF do a better job or would I be wasting time and $$$ trying to receive a signal that just isn't there to be received? FWIW, it has to be relatively compact and unobtrusive. I'm not willing to install a 10' wingspan antenna on a 100' pole if that's what it will take.

8. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I think you might see a slight difference. But, at least for us, even when I went to a more expensive antenna, it really did not help. I cannot say the same for you.